Prisoner Serving Life in Fatal Vegas Bombing Escapes Prison

    0
    38

    Police were on the lookout Tuesday for a 42-year-old bombmaker who fled the Nevada prison in which there was an indefinite sentence for a fatal 2007 explosion in the Las Vegas Strip resort.

    Gov. Steve Sisolak ordered an investigation into the incident following an investigation. He announced late on Tuesday that his office discovered that the escapee was missing from the medium-security prison since earlier on the weekend.

    “This is unacceptable,” Sisolak stated in an interview.

    Officials were unaware until Tuesday morning that Porfirio Duarte-Herrera had disappeared during the head count at Southern Desert Correctional Center near Las Vegas. The State Department of Corrections statement said search teams were searching for the missing man.

    Duarte Herrera, who hails from Nicaragua was found guilty in 2010 of murdering the owner of a hot dog stand by a bomb that was activated by motioning the cup of coffee on top of an unoccupied car at the Luxor casino-hotel.

    The court records show that his co-defendant Omar Rueda Denvers was still in custody on Tuesday. The 47-year-old native of Guatemala is serving a life-long sentence in another Nevada prison for attempted murder, suicide, explosives, and other crimes.

    The Clark County District Court jury has spared both men of execution in the murder of Willebaldo Dorantes Antonio, who was identified by prosecutors as being the lover of Rueda Denvers the ex-girlfriend of Rueda-Denvers.

     

    Prosecutors claimed that jealousy was the reason for the attack at the top of a parking structure with two stories. The explosion initially raised the possibility that there might be a terror attack taking place on the Strip.

    Officials have described Duarte-Herrera as 5 feet 4 inches tall, and weighing 135 pounds with brown eyes and brown hair.

    Sisolak stated that his office had ordered corrections personnel to “conduct and complete a thorough investigation into this event as quickly as possible.”

    “This kind of security lapse cannot be permitted and those responsible will be held responsible,” the official said.

    LEAVE A REPLY

    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here